20 June 2018

A magical world

 Quotations and passages on magic

Disbelief in magic can force
a poor soul into believing in
government and business.
-Tom Robbins


It is a magical world, isn't it?  Unfortunately, many of us have lost our ability to see that magic, to enjoy it, to appreciate it.  We spend so much time looking for explanations that we often aren't able to experience the magic of the world--the shine of the rainbow, the smile of a child, the thrill that runs through us when we hear a hawk call or a baby laugh.

Our world is full of magic, yet we feel the need to explain it away, to pretend that it isn't magic because there's a scientific explanation behind it.  I usually don't care about the scientific explanations, though, because that's just so much information.  I know how rainbows come to be, but my knowledge of the process really means nothing when one is shining in the sky--it's an awe-inspiring sight, and if I acknowledge that awe and allow it to wash over me as it should, then the rainbow is an incredible experience.

When I'm walking through a forest or a park, I'm often surrounded by trees and plants that used to be minuscule seeds, and that are giving off oxygen as they breathe--the very thing that I need to sustain my life.  The person I'm talking to used to be a sperm and an egg, in two separate bodies, and her or his body is being controlled by electrical impulses that originate in the brain that allows for thought and logic and humor and so much more.

That house you live in?  If it's made of wood, it originated in a handful of seeds.  The water you drink that keeps you alive?  It consists of groupings of atoms that occur elsewhere, too, but that have somehow come together to become water.

That person likes you.  You like that other person.  Someone smiles at you and you feel good because of it.  We strike a match and we have flame.  There's so much magic in the world that the list would be far too long to write if I were to dedicate myself to it, so let's just accept the fact that the world is full of magic, keep our eyes open to see it and recognize it, and then appreciate it fully once we do know just what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment