22 August 2018

Now

Begin doing what you want to do now.  We are not living
in eternity.  We have only this moment, sparkling like a
star in our hand. . . and melting like a snowflake.
Let us use it before it is too late.   -
Marie Beynon Ray


I've been reading about living in the present moment for decades, and I'm still not sure that I know how to do so.  I think I do, but of course, there's no real test available to find out if I am or not.  After all, I may be enjoying the sunshine on a beautiful fall day, but if I'm worrying about something that may happen tomorrow, am I not fully grounded in the present?  Am I trapped in a future?

And if I'm on a run in the forest, but thinking about a problem that I had yesterday, am I being held prisoner by the past, or am I using the present moment to process thoughts and reactions that I had yesterday?  Sometimes, for me, thinking deeply about things helps me to work my way through issues, and perhaps I may not be seeing the trees that surround me, but I am dealing with stress and unease that threatens to overwhelm me.  Sometimes, this moment is meant to serve as a way to process the past.  Sometimes, this moment is meant as a way to prepare ourselves for the future.  Both are fine uses of the present moment, as long as we don't fall into the trap of allowing ALL of our present moments to be focused on the past or the future.

Because right now, I have the chance to compliment someone, to smile at someone, to experience the sunshine or the rain, to be fully aware of all that surrounds me.  It's an important part of life to be able and willing to be present in this moment, to appreciate the opportunities we have right here and right now--and even to take advantage of some of those opportunities from time to time.  It's actually being with the people who are near us, not on the phone with someone who's elsewhere, dealing with problems and issues that are elsewhere.


This moment is precious.  Who's around you right now?  What don't you know about that person or those people that you'd like to know?  Is there something beautiful to look at, even if you've seen it many times already?  What are your current opportunities to learn something new about something?  Let's not let this moment melt into nothingness without getting something from it--and giving something to it.







 thoughts and passages on the present moment

No comments:

Post a Comment