24 December 2023

Christmas Eve--A Paragraph a Day

I really love Christmas, but I think I like Christmas Eve even better.  When Christmas Day comes, here it is, and we're in the midst of it.  And that's fine--I do my best to enjoy myself.  But when Christmas Eve is here, there's still a whole lot of anticipation in the air, the looking forward to things.  It's like having a wonderful holiday on a cozy evening full of beautiful lights and trees and music and egg nog and whatever else makes Christmas Eve for you--and still having something wonderful to look forward to.  Anticipation--looking forward to something--can be just as amazing as having experiences.  As A.A. Milne tells us in Winnie-the-Pooh,

“Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.”

Every year, I love Christmas Eve.  Oddly enough, I married a woman whose birthday is on Christmas Eve, so the day is even more special now.  Christmas is wonderful, but Christmas Eve is even better, according to me.  And it's great that way--I don't have to view the holiday in the same ways that everyone else views it!

No comments:

Post a Comment