04 January 2012

What I Am Not

Sometimes I think that it could be a good thing to celebrate the things that we are not.  After all, what we are and what we do goes only part of the way towards defining us as people; so much of who we are has to do with the things that are absent in us.  For example, I'm not dishonest, I'm not angry, I'm not petty, and I'm not vindictive.  I'm not cynical, judgmental (usually--I'm still working on this one.  Let's say "overly judgmental."), ruthless, cruel, spiteful, jealous, envious, or lazy.

I don't hurt people, I don't gossip, I don't take advantage of other people's failings, I don't kick people when they're down--rather, I try to help them up.  I don't covet, lie, cheat, or steal.

I don't try to intimidate others, I don't try to use fear to motivate others, I don't try to manipulate other people to do my will.  I'm not focused on money or power, and I'm not greedy.  I don't feel desire to take what's not mine.

I think I could go on with this list for quite a while, but it's enough to remind myself of just some of the things that I'm not.  And to remind myself that I'm not these things because I've decided not to be them--and in these cases, I think I've made good choices.  So what kinds of things are you not?  What kinds of decisions have you made that have molded you into a kinder, gentler person in this world of ours?

No comments:

Post a Comment