27 September 2022

Living Simply

If one's life is simple, contentment has to come.  Simplicity is extremely
important for happiness.  Having few desires, feeling satisfied
with what you have, is very vital:  satisfaction with just enough food,
clothing, and shelter to protect yourself from the elements.   -the Dalai Lama


I find that simplicity is very difficult to attain for me personally.  I want to simplify--I want to get rid of the extra things that I have and possess just the bare minimum that I need to get by, but I consistently find it difficult to do so.  I'm pretty sure that much of this trait of mine comes from the ways that I grew up--I find it hard to get rid of things because on a subconscious level, I'm afraid that I'm going to need them someday, and that I won't be able to replace them if I do need them.  I know where this trait comes from and I'm not to thrilled to have it as one of the dominant traits of my life, but it is what it is, right?

Of course it is.  And the main thing for me to keep in mind is that if it is a trait that I have and I'm not fond of that trait, I have to do what I can to change that trait into one that I'm more comfortable with, one that I actually like.  And I strongly believe that I would like my life to be simpler, to not be burdened with so many things, so many possessions that I could easily get rid of without causing any negative effects on my life at all.

What does it mean, though, to "not be burdened" by things?  After all, if I have three cars instead of one, what's the big deal.  I use the cars as a metaphor because they show very well just how dramatic a lack of simplicity can be.  If I own three cars, I have to keep track of three engines, three sets of wheels and tires, three transmissions, and so on.  I have to make sure that I plan for three oil changes from time to time, and I need to keep three tanks full of gas.  It's not the actual having of things that changes our lives--it's the time and energy that it takes to maintain them that makes things different for us.

Very often, we get to a point at which we don't notice just how overwhelming it is to have so many things.  If we've been in the same house for years, it can be easy to just keep putting things in the garage or storage shed.  They seem harmless, but those things can become difficult to manage.  Space becomes scarce, and many of our options can be lost as we possess more and more.  When we buy a dog, we lose the chance to spend weekends away, unless we pay extra for a hotel that allows pets.  Even if we can bring the dog, there are many places that we may want to visit that won't allow pets at all.

Sometimes we lose simplicity when we commit ourselves to too many things to do, and we run ourselves ragged trying to fulfill all of our responsibilities.  If we keep our obligations few, then much of life opens up to allow us in, but when we create new obligations for ourselves, we can shut many doors that might have opened for us.

The Dalai Lama mentions "having few desires," and I think that that's one important element of a simple life.  When we desire things that will complicate our lives, then simplicity is just a pipe dream.  When we allow ourselves to have fewer wants, when we're satisfied with what we have and where we are, then we're setting ourselves up for simpler lives that are easier to deal with in many, many ways.

I'm not that good at simplifying, but I keep trying to get better.  I know that the more I do simplify, the easier my life is going to be, and the more I'll be able to focus more consistently on the things that truly matter to me.


It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.

Laura Ingalls Wilder











No comments:

Post a Comment