24 September 2023

So Much to Learn--A Paragraph a Day

One of the huge advantages that I find in our current technologically centered world is that some types of information that we spread with that technology can be very fascinating, indeed.  Pretty much anything I want to read is available to me somewhere, somehow, and we have many more people making films than we used to, of all sorts of cultures all around the world.  The improvements made to cameras and microphones make them easy to carry and to use, and this allows for people to film stuff that they never could film before.  I'm teaching a World Studies course in high school right now, and I've made it a video-based course (mostly because no other materials are available to me), and we're able to see videos filmed in some of the most remote regions of Asia, Africa, and South America.  We're able to see what people eat in Tanzania and Bolivia; we're able to go to school with kids in Burundi and Finland; we're able to see what winters are like in Siberia and summers in the Sahara.  I feel as though I've learned more through videos over the last few years than I ever could have previously, and I love that fact.  Of course, I don't want to be addicted to the screen and I make sure that I don't watch TOO much, but it's nice to be able to take advantage of some of this technology and learn as much as I can about my fellow human beings--people whom I'll never meet, but who have a lot to teach me.






No comments:

Post a Comment