12 September 2023

Those Little Disasters--A Paragraph a Day

A few days ago, I was walking on our kitchen floor and heard a squishing sound.  That wasn't music to my ears.  It turned out that our dishwasher had been leaking water for some time, and our entire kitchen floor was ruined.  So I've spent the last few days tearing up a wet and moldy floor, scraping glue off a concrete floor, and disposing of a large number of pieces of flooring.  It's not what I wanted to be doing with the last five days, but it is what it is.  And I can't help but think of just how privileged I am to be able to have problems like this, and even to be able to fix them without worrying about what I'm going to eat next week if I spend money fixing it.  I'm also learning a lot about flooring and the floors underneath it and water damage and mold.  I'm getting practice taking off baseboards and putting them back on and fixing things up so that they look really nice.  I'm learning and growing in ways that two weeks ago I had no idea were in my very near future, and all because our dishwasher started leaking and ruined a floor.  I don't know if I can say that I'm actually enjoying the process of fixing the kitchen, but I'm certainly not hating it.





No comments:

Post a Comment