22 November 2010

When I Was a Kid

When I was a kid, I saw the wonder in just about everything, from the ants that made those really cool hills in the ground to the bees that were always hovering around flowers.  I loved them all, and I would actually take time to examine them and get to know more about them.  Nowadays, I step around anthills and I notice the bees in passing.

When I was a kid, I loved stories that transported me to different places and times, for they got my imagination running almost out of control, in the most positive of ways.  Today, I still read for pleasure now and then, but it doesn't have the effect on my imagination that it used to--perhaps I know too much now.

When I was really young, I trusted people very much.  It was a very nice feeling, to have that trust in others and to know that there was no reason not to trust--even if I did find out years later that some of those people really weren't trustworthy, I liked that feeling enough to do my best to associate with people whom I always can trust.  It's a nice lesson from my childhood.

There were many other great things about childhood that I can remember.  It was a dream come true to get a candy bar, or to have my favorite dinner.  Songs were really cool back when I didn't understand as much about quality--I liked what I liked, and didn't like what I didn't like.  Buildings were big and imposing and sometimes even mysterious.  Of course, there were also silly tantrums and fears and injuries that occurred because I did silly things, but for the most part I recognize that one of the values of reflecting on those years gone by lies in the memories of things that were beautiful, awesome, and wonderful--so that I can try to rekindle my ability to see them once more as beautiful, awesome, and wonderful.

If a child is to keep alive his or her
inborn sense of wonder, he or she
needs the companionship of at least
one adult who can share it, rediscovering
with the child the joy, excitement
and mystery of the world we live in.

Rachel Carson




No comments:

Post a Comment