16 December 2010

Learning silence

It's taken me a very long time to learn about the beauties of silence, the amazing benefits that it brings into my life.  For most of my life I've been most comfortable with sounds, especially music, as a major part of my life.  And to a large extent, I still am.  I tend to think best and write best when there's music playing, for example--the louder the better, usually--so whenever I need to produce something in writing, I always have music playing.  But more and more these days, I seek solace in silence--I seek the peace and quiet that can help my spirit to function at a calm, peaceful level without the rush of adrenaline that a strong beat played loudly brings to me.

This peacefulness is a nice new part of my life.  In my peaceful moments, I feel less distracted.  I feel more connected with life and with myself.  I feel a sense of belonging, and I realize during these peaceful times just how hectic things get when I don't allow the peace into my life, when I have the sounds and the noises as constant company.

Silence is a balm.  Silence is an environment, a setting, a place in our lives where we can hear ourselves think and breathe, and where we can get back in touch with our selves--our deeper selves, the parts of who we are that we ignore when the sounds are distracting us.

I love the quiet.  I love how it feels to hear nothing, really, and not need to hear anything.  Sounds can be pleasant, of course, but they do distract us.  They call our attention whenever they're present, and any time that our attention is called outside of ourselves, we're distracted from the most fundamental truths of all, the fundamental truths that are inside of ourselves, that are a part of who we are at our cores, in our spirits.  Let the silence embrace you.  Let the peace and quiet calm you and help you to see the greater truths that include spirit and oneness and interdependence.  In silence we can see these truths, ponder them, and embrace them.  When the cacophony of sounds that we face in our everyday lives keeps us distracted, then we don't have nearly as much clarity of vision or understanding.  Let silence help you to learn to feel the clarity deeply.


True silence really means going deep within yourself to that place where nothing
is happening, where you transcend time and space.  You go into a brand new
dimension of nothingness.  That's where all the power is.  That's your real home.
That's where you really belong, in deep Silence where there is no good or bad,
no one trying to achieve anything.  Just being, pure being. . . .
Silence is the ultimate reality.
 
Robert Adams
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment