21 February 2023

Do I Have Too Many Clothes?--A Paragraph a Day

Sometimes it's hard to feel that I'm being responsible with the resources available to me on this planet. We constantly hear different rules for living life responsibly--we should be frugal, we should spend freely, we should live simply, we should take advantage of all that's available to us.  What I try to do is simple--I want to live within my means, with a definite sense of responsibility towards that planet and the people and animals and plants on it, but I also want to be realistic.  For example, I want to live simply, but I have a lot of clothes.  There's a part of me that says, "I shouldn't have so many clothes if I want to live simply," but there's another part that acknowledges that the vast majority of my clothes have been gifts from others or thrift shop purchases, so I'm not exactly being excessive.  I also know that I can get rid of all the clothes in a moment if I need to, and I won't miss them.  They've been cheap and they serve a purpose, and they're not more important to me than they should be.  But I also know that if I were to get rid of them, especially if I were to donate them somewhere, they could end up somewhere where there are literally mountains of cast-off clothes that nobody wants.  Our clothes and the clothes of people from other wealthy countries are overwhelming places in Africa and Asia, and filling their landfills rather than our own.  Me holding on to them hurts absolutely no one, as long as I actually use them.  So use them I shall, and keep them I shall, till I may not need them any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment