03 February 2023

It's Going to Be Cold--A Paragraph a Day

It's going to get well below zero tonight, and we're fortunate enough to have a nice, warm home where we can ride out the cold snap.  We're not going to have to be outside in the frigid air, and we're not going to have to risk any sort of cold injury like frostbite.  We're fortunate enough to live in a society in which we have the electricity and the fuel we need for heat.  I like the extremely cold weather because it reminds me of just how nice the more agreeable temperatures are, especially when the cold air is accompanied by strong winds, as it is this evening.  But I'm fortunate to be able to stay inside and hunker down and wait for the super-cold weather to pass.  I'm fortunate to have a warm bed with nice sheets and blankets where I can stay safe and warm and snug while the outdoors is basically inhospitable.  It's easy to forget just how fortunate we are sometimes, and a cold spell like this can be a pain in the neck, or it can be a beautiful reminder of the good fortune that we have to be warm and safe on days when there's nothing at all warm or safe outside.  My hope is that I never lose my appreciation for the reminders that such days bring me all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment