26 February 2023

One Power of Music--A Paragraph a Day

I listen to a lot of music, and I have my entire life long.  It's soothing to me, especially when there's a strong melody and good vocals.  Some songs I can listen to over and over again, without ever growing tired of them.  Music has been a friend to me since I was very young--since I was in a military family, we moved pretty constantly, and the music was about the only constant in my life other than my family members.  And quite honestly, I often preferred the music to the family members, given the amount of conflict that they liked to create.  We could move from the west coast to the east coast to the midwest, and I could turn on the radio anywhere and hear the same songs.  Even the disc jockeys sounded the same, oddly enough.  It was pretty much the only stable element of an early life that completely lacked stability, the only consistent element in a life that completely lacked consistency.  Some people like music for scholarly reasons; others are musicians and they love music because they have a strong relationship with the sounds.  Me, I appreciate music definitely for the sound, but mostly for the way it was always there for me when I needed to be comforted or reassured that the world wasn't completely falling apart, that there was at least one thing that I could depend on.






No comments:

Post a Comment