15 February 2023

Winter Guilt, Sort of--A Paragraph a Day

Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments,
embark upon a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour.
-John Boswell

As odd as it sounds, sometimes I feel guilty in the winter.  Not for anything bad that I've done, but because I spend so much time doing so little.  I'm a pretty active person by nature, but winter is a season during which I feel the desire to hunker down and enjoy the intimacy of the indoors and not have tons of things planned to do.  I'm still fairly active--I still go running, I still do work around the house, I still go for walks--but not nearly as active as I am in the warmer months.  I'm not a winter sports person, and that's fine.  I like to sit down and play a few games of chess online, or read a good book, or take a nap.  I'm fortunate that I don't really feel guilty about not doing things, because if I did, winter would bring out tremendous guilt feelings.  Instead, I do my best to enjoy the down time, to make the most of the time that I can relax and feel fine just sitting here with a cup of coffee or tea or cocoa and a good book or a computer.  We still have a few weeks of winter left, and I hope that I'm able to enjoy them and all that they bring, as much as I possibly can!






No comments:

Post a Comment