04 June 2023

Politics or Life?--A Paragraph a Day

It's been astonishing to me to see how many people are willing to turn their homes into political posters, and not just during election time.  It's very hard for me to understand how a political belief can be so important that one would turn their home--the place where they eat and sleep and live family lives--into an advertisement for some person that they don't even know, just because they seem to have the same political beliefs as the homeowner.  I understand feeling that a certain politician espouses one's ideals and beliefs, but I also understand that the political realm isn't the same as the rest of life, that it's something that exists on its own terms and that isn't always what it claims to be.  There are certain situations in which I think I'd feel pretty uncomfortable going to a home that has a particular candidate's poster or flag displayed prominently, especially if that person is one whose actions are harmful to other human beings.  Personally, I try to stay as apolitical as I can because I'm not too fond of either of our major parties and I don't like the idea of passing legislation for political reasons rather than representing constituents, so having someone else's political ideas and ideals pretty much crammed down my throat just doesn't appeal to me.  I couldn't even imagine making my political beliefs such a dominant aspect of my life that I'd try to push them on others, and I certainly wouldn't want to make someone feel like they can't relate to me unless they approve of the same candidates that I approve of.  I'd like to keep some balance in my life, and turning my home into a political advertisement certainly isn't a sign of balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment