05 June 2023

Reflection--A Paragraph a Day

We must, like a painter, take time to stand back from our work,
to be still, and thus see what's what. . . True repose is standing
back to survey the activities that fill our days.
-William McNamara


I don't reflect enough, I feel.  I try to, but I have one of those minds that likes to run around all by itself without letting me control it.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing because I get many good ideas by letting my mind do its own thing, but it often doesn't allow me to relax and focus on reflecting about my life.  I do wish I could do so more, and I often promise myself that I will.  But this leads to that, and before I know it, it's time to go to bed or to work.  Most of my most important reflection comes when I'm running or biking, for then I'm out on my own for an hour or two or three, and I get a chance to think of all sorts of things.  I'm not sure if true reflection demands that I stay focused on one thing until I understand it, but my instinct tells me that it's not necessary to do so.  While I'm running I'm watching the road or path in front of me so that I don't trip or turn an ankle, and I'm thinking of anything and everything.  It's a nice way to reflect, and when I wasn't a runner, my reflection came during long walks, which I took regularly, sometimes for hours at a time depending on where I lived.  I think that all in all, these walks and runs are one of the parts of my life that have allowed me to get through difficult times and challenges, and if I could change anything in my life, I'd seriously consider taking more walks and spending more time running, riding, and reflecting.




No comments:

Post a Comment