21 March 2012

What Will I Take?

I’m fascinated by the concept of abundance.  It amazes me to think of just how much abundance is available right here, right now, on this great planet that we call home.  And it distresses me to witness, time and again, human beings arguing for lack, arguing that they can’t tap into that abundance, that they’re somehow doomed to go with less their whole lives long.  Life’s abundance is here for everyone, no matter who they are or what their skin color, but for some reason we prefer to think that we’re to be doomed to suffer life’s limitations, that the abundance is for other people.  And as long as we think that, of course, guess what we’re setting ourselves up to receive?

I’m not as wealthy as many other people on this planet; in fact, no one really would call me wealthy at all.  But one thing is for sure–I’ve never had to do without many things.  I’ve always been blessed with enough food to eat and clothes to wear.  I’ve always had a roof over my head, a car to drive me places, friends to talk to, even computers to work on.  I’ve had books to read and stereos to listen to my music on.  My life has been very abundant, even if I don’t have a yacht to spend my weekends on or a million dollars in the bank.

But I see many people refuse to take an extra college course that might help them to get a raise or to find work that pays better.  I’ve seen many people hoard their money and refuse to take vacations in beautiful places that could re-energize and re-invigorate them.  I know a lot of people who spend their money on frivolous things that they don’t need at all, only to be “unable” to do things that could help them to advance in their lives.  And how many people do we all know who refuse to take risks, thus dooming themselves to continue on in jobs or in lives that are unfulfilling and unrewarding?

This life offers all of us many beautiful things and experiences.  Abundance is all around us, but we have to reach out and take it, live it, and feel it.  I don’t want to reach the day I die and regret not having experienced as much of what this life has to offer as I can, so I have to do my best today to recognize what options are there before me and do my best to make them a part of my life, a part of my experience, a part of who I am.  It’s up to me.



The abundance of God is like a mighty ocean, so vast you cannot possibly exhaust it or cause a shortage for others.  You can go to this inexhaustible ocean with only a small cup and bring away only that small cup of bounty and blessing.  Or, if you have faith enough, you can take a bucket and bring away a bucketful.  It makes no difference to the ocean.  Nor does it matter how often you go.  Abundance is always there.

Henry T. Hamblin




No comments:

Post a Comment