20 April 2023

The Couch in My Bedroom--A Paragraph a Day

If you were to go into my bedroom (and I'm not sure why you would, unless we were giving you a tour of our house), you'd find my wife's twin bed and a couch.  The couch is where I sleep.  It took quite a few years before I was willing to take the step of putting a couch in the bedroom, but I finally did, and it's been wonderful.  Why? you ask.  It has nothing to do with the inability of my wife to force me to sleep on the couch if she gets mad at me, because I already do.  Rather, it has to do with the fact that for most of my life I've had some pretty nasty back pain to deal with, and it took me a very long time to figure out what was causing it.  Quite simply, I like to sleep on my stomach--that's the most comfortable position for me, and I've pretty much always slept that way.  The problem is that my back doesn't like it--there's something about the position that causes my lower back to kind of sag, and I end up having terrible back pain the next day, which is pretty much every day.  I discovered, though, that when I sleep on a couch, I can't sleep on my stomach as easily, and I tend to sleep on my side.  Ever since I've discovered this, I've slept on a couch as much as I can, and we finally took the step of putting the couch in the bedroom, where I sleep for good now.  And I very rarely deal with back pain, and it's great!  My point?  When I was a kid I was given a bed and told that that was where I would sleep, because beds are where everyone sleeps, right?  It never entered anyone's mind that the bed might not be the best place for me, and I never thought that something so "normal" could cause so much pain.  And I have to wonder what else I've been taught is "normal" that has been causing me undue pain simply because I choose to accept what everyone else has told me because I've never actually considered whether or not it was best for me or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment