11 May 2023

A Smile and a Wave--A Paragraph a Day

My wife and I just went for a walk, and as we were doing so, we passed a very young girl, about six or seven years old, standing by her mother's car as her mother was getting something out of the car.  I smiled and waved and said hello, and the little girl waved back.  To me, there are few things in life more pleasant than that.  It's very special when a young child is willing to acknowledge your existence and wave or say hello, and it always makes me feel good when a kid does so.  We were nothing special to the girl, just two adults walking by, but she took the time to return our greeting and acknowledge our presence in her life for that tiny moment in time.  It's no small thing, Dickens once said, when people who are so "fresh from God" love us, and I know that it's not.  It's not a small thing at all.  It's a very special thing, and I always appreciate it when the very young people on this planet share their smiles and their thoughts and ideas with us.  I hope it keeps happening because it really does make me feel good.  Of course, if I want it to happen so, then I need to make sure that I treat them well, too--after all, as the adult I have much more of a responsibility to be kind and caring to the young than they have to be kind and caring to me.  May I always fulfill that responsibility.


Very young children are not afraid to express what they feel.
They are so loving that if they perceive love, they melt into
love.  They are not afraid to love at all.  That is the description
of a normal human being.  As children we are not afraid of the
future or ashamed of the past.  Our normal human tendency is
to enjoy life, to play, to explore, to be happy, and to love.


Don Miguel Ruiz






No comments:

Post a Comment