12 May 2023

Being Too Tired--A Paragraph a Day

Some days are just fascinating--by the time I get home, especially on Fridays after long and strenuous weeks, I'm pretty much too tired to do anything of substance.  I often sit down on the couch and read, giving myself the rest I need, but still end up falling asleep during a movie or while I'm reading.  Sometimes I feel a bit guilty about this, wishing that I weren't so darned tired, but for the most part, I accept the condition for what it is--simple exhaustion.  It's important to me to recognize just when I'm exhausted because that's the time that I don't want to undertake anything strenuous, either mentally or physically.  I know that if I do take something on, I'm either going to do it very poorly or fail miserably at it, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to even try something.  I know that all the self-help gurus will tell you that it's all in your mind, that you can do whatever you set your mind to no matter what, but I must respectfully disagree with them--sometimes I'm just too tired, and the best thing that I can do is to rest and allow myself to fall asleep early and get enough sleep to recover.  Not every day must be a triumph--some of my nicest days have been those when I've rested or recovered from a lot of hard work.  Sometimes, it's okay to just be too tired, and there's no need to push things when you recognize that you're not in a good place to be pushing.

No comments:

Post a Comment