29 May 2023

This, Too, Shall End--A Paragraph a Day

One thing that I've learned over and over again about life is that no matter how unpleasant certain situations may get, they will be over, either sooner or later.  I've had plenty of negative times, and I've gone through a lot of very difficult situations, but the truth is that eventually, they've all ended.  Today, as a somewhat superficial example, I was on a long bike ride.  After about three and a half hours, I hit a situation that I wasn't expecting--the road basically went away, replaced by a terribly rocky, unrideable surface that forced me to walk my bike.  It was a difficult stretch, and very frustrating and annoying.  But I knew that if I left the annoying part overwhelm me, I wouldn't have as much fun on my ride.  And I knew from experience that no matter how difficult things got at the time, I would still be at home within about an hour, so I might as well enjoy my surroundings and the fact that I was able to get out for a ride for most of the morning.  By looking on the positive side and keeping in mind that the negative part wouldn't last forever, I was able to enjoy the time that I spent outdoors, getting a good amount of exercise and fresh air.  As a metaphor, of course, I can apply this reality to other situations, no matter how difficult they may be.  Things pass, and we move on to something else--and I hope that I'm always able to see the brightest side of everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment