10 October 2023

Letting the World Go On--A Paragraph a Day

Does it ever seem that the world is simply too overwhelming for us?  Does it seem that so many terrible things happen that it's not possible to stay happy if we really do feel compassion for the people to whom those terrible things are happening?  Does it seem unfair that we're sitting warm and comfortable in our homes while so many people are living through war and extreme poverty and crime and homelessness and goodness knows what else?  Sometimes it seems like that to me, and at those times I have to remember that my world is my world, and there's much to be grateful for here.  I don't have any influence at all on other people in other parts of the world, other than the amount that I donate each month to a particular charity (our personal charity is Doctors without Borders, though there are many others who do just as much good, if not more).  And I remind myself that if I were in a terrible situation, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone else, so those people who are living in better conditions could do me the best favor of all by truly appreciating their blessings while they have them.  The world will go on, and terrible things will continue to happen--and I'm not a terrible person for appreciating the food that I have, the shelter that I have, the blessings that I have.  We can't all be everywhere, saving everyone from adversity, but we can develop a sincere appreciation for the gifts that we have, for they truly are blessings, especially in light of the adversity that so many others are facing every day that we live.





No comments:

Post a Comment