30 October 2023

Trees--A Paragraph a Day

I bought a tree yesterday, kind of an impulse buy, but a good one, I think.  I was at the hardware store looking for something else, and I saw a nine-foot pear tree on sale for $60.  I hadn't planned on spending that much money, but it was a very nice pear tree, and it looked very healthy so I decided to go for it.  There's something about trees that I love--whether it be their patience or their perseverance or the sense of anticipation that they inspire, I don't know.  I just know that there's a pear tree in our yard that wasn't there a few days ago, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it in the spring now.  Its leaves are already red, so we get a few days of red leaves for the autumn, but since it's a pear tree there are going to be flowers in the spring, and that's definitely something to look forward to.  Trees are amazing things--they give us oxygen and shade and fruit and nuts and a place for birds to land, and they really do ask nothing back.  Our new tree has settled in just fine, and I'm sure that it's going to be pretty amazing come spring.  While I know that it's a fairly expensive impulse buy, even at half price, I also know that putting a tree in our yard is an action that helps the world in quite a few ways, and I'm very glad that sometimes I look at something like an impulse buy and tell myself, "That's a really good impulse."  We have a beautiful tree in our yard because of my latest impulse, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what it's going to offer us a few months from now.





No comments:

Post a Comment