07 January 2023

Growing Old--A Paragraph a Day

I think that one of the more fascinating things about growing old is the fact that I don't feel any older now than I ever have.  The world still interests me, I still see lots of fascinating and beautiful things, I still enjoy a lot of the activities that we have here, and I still like things like weather and little kids and coffee and quiet evenings at home.  I honestly don't feel a bit different than I did at twenty or thirty, though, except for the fact that I have a lot more memories and a bit more wisdom to help make my life a bit more pleasant.  It's not bothering a bit to get older--in fact, I think that overall I'm happier and more stable now than I ever have been.  When I look around at the other older people around me and I notice that so many of them are carrying around tons of bitterness and regret, that they're mad that the world is changing and isn't like it used to be, that they're upset that young people don't live up to their expectations that were forged decades ago, I feel pretty fortunate.  The world is going on, no matter what my age, and it will continue to go on long after I'm gone.  I'm just going to try to enjoy this stage of my life while I have it.







No comments:

Post a Comment