08 January 2023

Nice Walks--A Paragraph a Day

My wife and I seem to struggle to take walks sometimes, especially in the winter when it can be cold and unpleasant outside.  The interesting thing about walks, though, is that no matter what the weather, they turn out to be fine.  We have coats and umbrellas to keep us warm, and just the act of getting outside and getting some fresh air is a very positive thing to do.  Many times I've hesitated about taking walks because the weather seems too bad, but in the end, I've never regretted a single walk that I've taken.  They always help to lift me up and make me feel better.  I don't know why--perhaps it's the fresh air, or perhaps it's simply because I'm not in a room for a certain amount of time.  No matter what the reason, I know that outside of some extreme weather situations during which it's far too dangerous to be outdoors, I always want to at least step out of the door and start a walk.  My mind appreciates it, my body appreciates it, and my heart and spirit appreciate it.  Today we walked for two hours on a chilly winter day, and the two hours were beautiful--and we're both very glad we got out there.  Walking is exercise and meditation and mindfulness and relaxation all in one simple activity, and it also gives me appreciation simply for the fact that I'm able to walk when so many aren't.  I have to say that of all the things I hope I never have to give up, I would put walking way up high on that list.








No comments:

Post a Comment