16 January 2023

Problems with Resolutions--A Paragraph a Day

The last few days have shown me one of the problems with New Year's Resolutions--life got busy for a couple of days, and I "broke" my resolution to write a paragraph a day on this blog.  When I opened this page just a few moments ago, I thought I had missed two days.  I quickly found out, though, that it's actually been five days since my last paragraph.  Four days in a row, I didn't write anything, in spite of my resolution.  That's okay with me--I'm not going to beat myself up or make myself miserable for something that in the bigger picture is quite trivial.  It reminds me, though, that things happen, that life isn't always completely predictable, and that sometimes we don't live up to promises that we make--even to ourselves--and that it's important for us not to lose our cool over that.  Had this been a promise to a friend, then I would have done my best to make it up to them.  Not coming through on all of our promises isn't the end of the world, and it doesn't destroy all of our credibility or make it impossible for others to trust us.  Rather, it reminds us that we, too, are fallible, and that we will make mistakes.  And life will go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment