14 March 2023

Beautiful Storms--A Paragraph a Day

We've had a beautiful winter storm all day today--heavy and steady snow from sunup to sundown, and it's still going strong.  Storms like this are fairly rare in my experience, so it's nice to have the chance to watch the snow come down heavily all day.  I like the way that snow looks and the way that it feels--and the way it makes the whole world look completely different for a time.  I don't mind shoveling it, though when it's thick and heavy like today, one certainly earns the hot chocolate that one gets to make after an hour or so of shoveling.  I've heard many people refer to this kind of storm as "bad" weather, as if there's something inherently not good in a steady storm, but to me, it's among the best kinds of weather.  I was fortunate today to be able to be in a warm house with food and shelter, so my perspective is a somewhat privileged one when it comes to this storm, but my privilege doesn't change the truth of the matter--sometimes the storms in our lives are absolutely beautiful, but we look so long and hard at what they keep us from doing that we never even recognize the beauty inherent in them.  Storms can be destructive, of course, but that doesn't mean that they don't come with a beauty all their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment