23 March 2023

Romanticizing Nature--A Paragraph a Day

I really love nature--going for walks and runs and hikes and spending time in forests and in water and on a bike and in the desert.  I think it's kind of funny, though, how we tend to romanticize almost everything to do with nature, and how we claim that nature's ways are always the best ways.  All we need to do to get a great idea of just how incredibly dangerous and cruel nature can be is watch a good program on nature to see how many animals kill each other just for the chance to mate; how many animals are killed as food when they were just minding their own business; how some animals actually use other animals' bodies as food for their young.  Animals tend to be somewhat nervous and paranoid, unless they're on top of the food chain, for they never know what's around that wants to eat them.  I think nature is wonderful, but I certainly wouldn't want to be a bird or an insect or a mammal that at any moment can become someone else's food.  I think I'm fine just where I'm at, doing just what I'm doing, and I have no romantic notions like we hear in the song that says, "I want to live like animals/careless and free," for example.  Just because they don't have to get jobs or pay taxes or go to school doesn't mean that an animal's life is careless.  Their cares tend to be a little more drastic than ours do, because there are very few animals that don't face the possibilities of becoming someone else's dinner.





No comments:

Post a Comment