29 March 2023

When Exercise Is a Rest--A Paragraph a Day

I know it sounds paradoxical, but sometimes the best rests that I've taken have been long runs or walks or bike rides.  There are times when I feel the need to rest, but I know that I also need to exercise so I kind of force myself to get out there and do something physical.  These are often the best runs or walks or bike rides that I have--I end up feeling invigorated and energetic, much more so than I would have had I sat down on the couch to rest a little bit.  I like it when this happens, and oddly enough, I can't even remember any times when I've done this that has turned out negatively.  Of course, I take it easy during these outings, for I don't want to go out there and push myself really hard when I'm not feeling extremely strong, so I generally don't risk getting hurt.  The runs teach me something important, though--sometimes the best thing we can do for ourselves may seem counterintuitive, and it may be worth our while to consider options that don't seem to make a whole lot of sense when we're pondering a course of action.  What seems like the best thing to do may not be so, and what seems to make little sense may actually make the best sense of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment