09 March 2023

What Is Generous?--A Paragraph a Day

Too many have dispensed with generosity in order to practice charity.

Albert Camus

I'd like to think that I'm a generous person, but I'm not sure that it's so, for I'm not quite sure what is truly generous.  I'm not sure how to define the word, and I'm not quite sure if what I believe to be generosity truly is what I think it is.  Sometimes we give for our own benefit, to make ourselves feel better or look good to others.  Is it truly generous when I give something to a thrift store that I don't need any more?  There are those who say that it's not really generous if I don't need the object to begin with, and I can see their point.  I would like to be able to give whatever someone else needs when they need it, no matter what the cost to me, but I honestly don't think that I'm at a point at which I can do so.  That's okay, I think--I'm not going to get angry at myself for not being as generous as I'd like to be, and as long as I keep working towards being more generous, I think I'm on the right track.  I probably need to eventually decide on what I think that a generous person truly is, and work my way towards becoming more like that person each day that I'm alive.




No comments:

Post a Comment