25 March 2023

Dinner Time--A Paragraph a Day

Can you see the holiness in those things you take for granted--
a paved road or a washing machine?  If you concentrate on finding
what is good in every situation, you will discover that your life
will suddenly be filled with gratitude, a feeling that nurtures the soul.   -Harold Kushner


We're about to eat dinner, and though it seems like a pretty normal thing for the most part, it's something that I'm very grateful for.  I've had times in my life when I didn't have all that much to eat, and I pretty much didn't know where my next meal was coming from or what it might be.  There have been times when I've bought some bread and a block of cheese and lived off of that for several days, simply because that was all I could afford.  Nowadays, food is plentiful, and I don't really have any possibility of not having a meal (though who knows what may happen tomorrow!), but I try to keep in mind just how important it is to be grateful for this fact.  I have enough to eat, and that's more than a whole lot of people on this planet can say--it's estimated that 25,000 people die every day from starvation and causes related to malnourishment, yet I live in a land of plenty and I have the means of making sure that I have all the food I need.  Heck, we even throw some food away sometimes, though we do make a strong effort to avoid doing so.  But when I sit down to dinner, I make an effort always to be thankful for the fact that I have a dinner to sit down to, and I truly believe that that gratitude is one of the things that makes my life richer.





No comments:

Post a Comment