15 March 2023

Life without Music?--A Paragraph a Day

Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space
between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.
-Maya Angelou

I try to imagine life without music sometimes, but I can't do it.  I don't know why or how, but all my thinking seems to made stronger with music.  I can concentrate better when I'm listening to music, and the quality of my work--whatever I'm working on--is higher.  I don't absolutely need music, of course, and silence is also one of my best friends, but music certainly is a wonderful element of my life.  And good music is simply good music to me, and I can listen to the same songs over and over again, as long as they're good (to my mind, anyway).  I tend to think in melody, and the songs that have the strongest effect on me are the songs that have the strongest melodies.  I think that's why jazz isn't a musical genre that I enjoy, because the lack of strong melodies is almost a trademark of jazz.  My life is richer because of the music that I listen to, and while I would be just fine without it, everything certainly is fuller and more enjoyable with it.  Music is a wonderful element of my life, and I'm very grateful that it's here with me in so many ways!




No comments:

Post a Comment